Buddha

Buddha

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas day

Its Christmas day 2011.  Jonathan and I have the whole day to ourselves.  Just us and the dogs.  In 17 years we have never had this day to ourselves.  In Dallas we would part going to our respective relatives mine in Oklahoma and his in Louisiana.  Here in Scottsdale we always had family visiting.  But this year its quiet.

Its a beautiful day and I got to meditate outside in the garden.  Just 20 minutes and just sitting in awareness.  Its my favorite meditation practice.  The air has a very slight chill so small breezes took on an additional intensity.  A humming bird was flying near enough I could hear the low buzz of his tiny wings.  The dogs often come sit with me or brush up against me and they try to get buy on the pathway.  The fountain provides a steady roar in the background that fades in and out of my noticing.   And always the Buddha sits there in stillness.

Lightly touching the breath with my attention I would just sit and notice.  Feel the sun.  Hear the sounds.  Notice the thoughts.  Sometimes get drawn into some little story.  Eventually I would notice I was gone and come back to that small attention on the breath.  Occasionally I would allow a small contemplation on Emptiness but only for a second or two.  Almost like the koan mu.  Just bring it up and then let it sit there without the need to mentally tinker with it.

This simple and profound practice can really show us how spacious we are.   All those things you think. All those cherished beliefs.  All those emotions you feel.  All that chatter.  Stop and bring your attention back to reality.  Wake up.

2 comments:

  1. Nice. Evokes the peace of the day. And I see what you did there with the last line. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do love reading your writing. It feels like having a conversation with you. I love it!

    ReplyDelete